The way we move through the world has significant effects on our physical health. For example, if you don’t bathe regularly, dress poorly for the weather or make risky moves while playing; you will be exposed to bacteria, you body will be less efficient in defending itself or you will become injured.
But what about the way you think as you move through the world does that have any effect on our bodies? Can our emotional intelligence have a measurable impact on our physical health?
Heath has various meanings and it holds a different meaning from person to person. During World War II, health meant the opposite to illness. Later, World Health Organization termed health as, “a state of complete physical, mental and social well being.”
Physical health is largely determined by our lifestyle and behaviors that we perform.
To have a good physical health is essential in one’s life. Good psychical health leads to a better functioning of the heart, lungs, sugar levels and regulates blood pressure. It can also control weight, strengthen the bones and helps prevent cancer.
There is a definite co relation between the levels of Emotional Intelligence in certain areas and psychical health. Only when you’re emotionally strong, you’re physically fit. Emotional Intelligence is the ability to recognize and control your emotions, as well as recognize and properly respond to the emotions of others.
? EI AND PHYSICAL HEALTH
Mind and body are linked. When you improve your physical health, you’ll automatically experience greater emotional well-being. To have a good emotional health, it is important that one must care for his or her body immensely.
Here are the main components of emotional intelligence for better understanding of Emotional intelligence and physical health.
1) Self-Awareness: In order to feel prevent serious health issues from arising, self-awareness is required. This component of EI means evaluating and paying attention to how you feel and how you respond. Emotionally intelligent will be able to feel their emotions and do their best to understand and explain. They are also aware how their emotions and actions impact not only their emotions but that of others as well. There has to a “clear and direct” type of verbal communication within ourselves to understand this component. In order to be emotionally and physically fit, there are 6 questions that you need to ask yourself:
• What is that makes you feel really good?
• What are the feelings and sensations do you experience when you feel good?
• Which physical activities do you feel are good for you?
• Which activities do actually make you feel great?
• Which activities have a negative impact on your health?
2) Self-Regulation: Being able to control your subsequent behaviors is one of the things that is required for better health. It deals with limiting decisions based purely on emotions, avoid blaming others, take accountability for your actions and channel your strong negative emotions in a positive way. For example, going for a run when you are feeling angry- this will channelize positive emotion and lead to a better physical life.
3) Motivation: This component of EI comprises of improvement, advancement and progress. If you are a motivated person, you tend to know where you stand, willing to improve and make consistent efforts to reach your goals. A highly motivated person will seem to be hardworking and will be an asset in the organization whereas a demotivated person will not eat right and take too much stress, thus hampering his or her psychical health.
4) Empathy: This component deals with the levels of perception and awareness of the needs and feelings especially of that of the others. I feel this is the one of most important factors as you are willing to listen to others, understand their problems and genuinely invest in the well being of other people.
5) Social Skills: Social skills deal with communication, teamwork, conflict resolving and the ability to work within a unit. If you have social skills, it means you can easily talk about an uncomfortable topics, value the opinions of others and allowing others to present their views to shape your own. For example, if a person does not have great social skills, he or she will have a chance of going into depression leading to a bad physical health.
Researches have shown that EQ has an impact on mental health outcomes but it shouldn’t be forgotten that emotional intelligence also directly affects physical health. There is another theory of linking emotional intelligence and physical health. Using the Trait Meta-Mood Scale (TMMS) severs it. There are three core components of EQ according to this model.
1) Attention- this is the component which talks about the ability to notice and pay attention to the moods.
2) Clarity- clarity is the ability to clearly understand the nature of the moods
3) Repair- it is ability to maintain positive moods and repair negative moods whenever needed.
When looked at from this angle, it is easier to understand how emotional intelligence could affect physical health. The following example will showcase the power of all these three components and how it can affect the physical health.
You begin to feel irritated and can’t seem to focus on the task at work. After consideration, you realize that you there were too much work on your plate that day. The emotion you were feeling was despair and in low spirits so you planned on playing table tennis and prepared a proper timetable.
In the above-mentioned example, you paid attention to your mood, identified the reason behind it and put it in direct effort to repair the negative mood before it got any worse with a solution that would best satisfy your needs. This is a simple but evident scene where EI affects physical health in a positive way.
There are many other theories and researches done to showcase the relation among emotional intelligence, stress and behavioral response to cardiovascular and hormonal activities. Some studies asked the people to write about their traumatizing events, which included recall and analysis. It was concluded that their blood pressure and the heart rate rose greatly.